Sunday, November 11, 2012

Greenpeace ad's


The Greenpeace campaign, just like any campaign uses different persuasive techniques in order to convince their audience to join their side. When originally choosing the Greenpeace campaign I did research just based on what the campaign is all about rather than the persuasive techniques that the campaign may be using in order to win me over. After doing some research I found Greenpeace to be a strong organization that does their best in order spread the word of environmental issues being faced by the world and have successfully adopted many members to help. The campaign has even been influential regarding policy decisions in many countries all across the world. The campaign uses many techniques including the three artistic proofs, ethos, logs, and pathos, lobbying, enthymeme, and cause-and-effect reasoning in different ad campaigns they have created.

The first Greenpeace campaign commercial I watched was titled “Earth Day: Give Earth a Hand” which I found on YouTube. The commercial begins by showing peoples wants whether its car, an Iphone, electronic device shown in dark colors that seem more serious but capture attention. Then the commercial slowly changes its audience to think more logically by using logos and beings to show statements such as “I want water, I want food” which always hits another one of Aristotle’s three appeals pathos, the commercial makes the audience feel that they can do something. The commercial uses a metaphor extension having people’s hands being the vehicle in the advertisement and the tenor to be the ocean, grass, and the earth. As compared to other Greenpeace commercials I have seen this one seems to be less intense and graphic then others. I have found this to be very usually for Greenpeace considered other commercials I watched including on named Dove Onslaught(er) which beings with a small girl frowning staring directly right at the camera, then rapidly begins flashing through images of different animals living in forest in Indonesia slowly these images become disturbing pictures of the wilderness being destroyed and animals dying at the end statistic appear on the screen that are reasons to fight against the companies that produce dove products. I found this to be almost too dramatic and hard to take very serious because it is so ridiculous. I decided to see if advertisements for Greenpeace differed depending on the media that it is on. After looking at a number of ads for Greenpeace it is clear they often try to include pathos in all of their ads. The print images seemed t always contains a bit of rhetorical visual techniques including metaphor extensions, synecdoche, and metaphors. However, although I do respect the campaign and think they have done a lot I don’t know if I necessarily find their techniques to be one hundred percent effective.

As surprising as it is however if you take a visit to their online website that was created by them it is so peaceful and it makes the audience member feel more trustworthy towards the group because of all the information and things that the website has to offer. Aside from the website I have found that the ads generally all try and do the same thing. However, although I do respect the campaign and think they have done a lot I don’t know if I necessarily find their techniques to be one hundred percent effective. Greenpeace focus a lot of their attention on pathos, many of their campaigns directed to produce fear and emotion of the future. I do find it appropriate to use pathos in any persuasive campaign I do think that Greenpeace does go over bored with some of their ads. Using more logos in some ads can be used appropriately along with pathos. Many of their images are designed in order to shock the viewers and show the horrible environmental damages cause by humans.




1 comment:

  1. This is very solid work! You ask many important questions and I look forward to reading this paper!

    You use a lot of subjective descriptions in your discussion of these commercials and their themes. You are right when you question the consistent effectiveness of this sort of appeal. Does the organization "reload" with different spots or do they only place these ads in cycles to maximize the chance that they will work?

    Keep working - this looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete