Thursday, October 25, 2012

campaign analysis

I am not one to be very interested in politics and political campaigns, so when I heard that for my next presentation I was to talk about some sort of campaign analysis I was a little apprehensive. After doing some research I came across a campaign that was not all about politics and that I would not mind writing a long term paper on. “Greenpeace is an independent global campaigning organization that acts to change attitudes and behavior, to protect and conserve the environment and to promote peace” Greenpeace focuses on issues involving the earth such as climate change, forests, oceans, agriculture, toxic pollution and nuclear. The organization believes that the earth needs a voice, change, and a solution.
 I will be focusing on some of these aspects within my speech and paper but mainly about ocean and ocean life. I will cover marine reserves, and polar oceans how they are doing and what we can do to help. Marine reserves and their habitats need to be protected and could possibly give hope at reversing global fisheries decline. My target audience would be any legal adults that are willing to listen and help give a voice. I will need to find research to prove that our oceans and ocean life are in danger and what is causing this, and what can be done to help stop it. I will also need to research why this is such a controversy, many claim that there is nothing that can be done about the pollution that is being done to our oceans because there is nowhere else to put the waste and that trying to find some way to help is a big waste of time. As of right now I do not believe there are any circumstances or events that change the way the public views this controversy. Personally maybe the only event that changed the way I saw and felt about ocean and ocean life what watching Disney’s Oceans and getting to see the seriousness of this issue.

1 comment:

  1. There was never any political requirement for this assignment; public persuasion can also be for commercial - and in the campaign you've selected - social or environmental ends. Remember, your research should be directed at analyzing the persuasive campaign being waged by Greenpeace, not about the validity of the positions the organization takes.

    Greenpeace is an important advocacy group - they emerged in the public consciousness fighting against whale fishing and animal testing. Like many issue-centric groups, they often highlight outrageous behaviors and set themselves up to be the agents of change. Do all their commercials work this way? Are they a fund-raising group that simply relies on the ability of those sympathetic to its cause to fund their efforts? Or, are they making an effort to expand their appeal beyond the sympathetic audience? Observe their presence on the web, in print, and on TV. Do they point to accomplishments? Or do they always rely on highlighting threats?

    Remember, this paper and speech are about analyzing the efficacy of the persuasive campaign being waged by Greenpeace - not about the dangers facing our oceans or the animals that live in them.

    ReplyDelete