Sunday, October 2, 2011

Listening process

We all now know that there are five steps to the listening process. Pay attention, interpretation, evaluation, responding, and storage and retrieval. By following these steps a person can somewhat help avoid having a conflict with a friend or family member. My main problem is attention, if the person that is trying to tell me something does not capture my individualized attention, there is no hope for me following the rest of the steps that help us listen. My friends and I do not have a lot of issues among all of us because we generally agree with each other and stay out f other people’s drama. However there was a time when not only listening was not used but there was also a lack of communication between the three of us. In high school I was very close with these two girls Meredith and Deanna. Well one day Meredith and I were in a little disagreement that at this point I do not even remember what it was about. So I was talking to Deanna about what was going and simply said to her I am not too worried about it we will both get over it. Deanna not fully understanding mine and Meredith’s relationship went and told Meredith just what I had said exacerbating the situation. By what I said I meant that mine and Meredith’s friendships is stronger than any silly argument and we both love each other so much that nothing could keep us apart. I saw no harm in saying what I had said to Deanna at the time, but now knowing the listening process defiantly would have made sure Deanna had known the steps to. Deanna did get the first step down, pay attention. When it came to interpreting however this was a little shaky. Deanna clearly did not fully interpret what I had said and restated it to Meredith and over time this small lack of listening actually fully ruined all three of our friendships. If I could change something I do not think that I would have said anything at all. Or if I did I would have made sure that she fully understood before our conversation was over. Without interpretation that means the response, storage, and retrieval or now all incorrect

1 comment:

  1. Oy. I have to say I'm not sure how much listening was a problem here or a matter of truthfulness in conversation. Also, BTW, the word is definitely (in this context) not defiantly. Finally, Jen, for your aging and addled reader (me) please use paragraphing to mark the beginning, middle and end of an essay.

    ReplyDelete